A week back, I shared on Instagram photos of the Paella Negra we made during the Knorr Kitchenhood Clinic. The event was in celebration of the household brand's 175th anniversary, and they invited members of media, like myself, to cook delicious and easy to make meals with their best products.
Through a draw of lots, I was assigned to a recipe that I have always of thought was complicated, a festive meal regular, and one of my mother's all-time favorite dishes, the PAELLA! As I put my apron on, they were already pressuring me on how the paella has to taste perfect. The last person who was assigned to this recipe apparently burnt it. So much for "It's okay, I'm on a diet anyways!"
So, today I share the recipe of Knorr's easy and delicious Paella Negra! Trust me, anyone can do it.
Ingredients (serves 4-6 pax)
Olive oil, use as needed
1-2 Chorizo de Bilbao, sliced
1/2 cup, green bell pepper
1/2 cup, red bell pepper
1/2 cup, onions, chopped
1/4 cup garlic, chopped
1/4 cup fresh tomatoes
1 tsp rock salt
2 cups Japanese rice
4 1/2 cup Prawn stock (3 pcs. Knorr Shrimp Cubes add to 5 cups hot water)
1 1/2 tbsp squid ink (from Terry's)
2 medium sized cuttlefish (lumot), head removed, peeled and sliced
1/4 cup green peas, frozen, thawed, blanched
2 hard boiled egg, sliced
salt to taste
1. Heat up olive oil in a Paellera (12 in), add chorizo and cook for about 1 minute. Remove chorizo from pan and set aside
2. Add chopped red and green bell pepper and saute for 2-3 minutes
3. Add onion and saute for 2 minutes
See the full recipe, plus how to make mock Aioli sauce by clicking Read More!
4. Add garlic and saute again for 2 minutes
5. Add rock salt and tomatoes and saute for 2 minutes
6. Add rice (uncooked) and saute for 2 minutes
7. Add squid ink and prawn stock (Knorr cuts down cooking time by a whopping hour with its delicious alternative for stock, the Shrimp Broth Cubes!)
8. Bring the rice to a boil and cover with aluminum foil
10. Drizzle with olive oil and cover with foil again and continue cooking for another 3 minutes
Holding the fort here, and it smells amazing!
11. Remove the foil, mix the rice and season with salt according to taste
12. Arrange all the toppings around - cuttlefish, chorizo, sliced hard-boiled eggs, and green peas. Drizzle with Aioli Sauce before serving!
You can also add sliced lemons to the sides for plating! ;)
Mock Aioli Sauce
2 tbsp milk
1 tbsp garlic
1/4 cup Ladies Choice Mayonnaise
In a bowl, mix together the garlic and milk, set aside for 10-15 mins. Then, strain the garlic from the milk and add mayonnaise to the milk. Mix well!
This dish was the most delicious thing I have ever made, and it's very easy to do so too. Thank you for the opportunity, Knorr. Happy 175 years!
Like this post? Don't forget to leave a comment below or follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/sinosicat! ;)